Last reconstruction: 2015
Club establishment: 1890
The Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán is the home ground of one of two traditional clubs in the south of Spain. We talk about the 42,500 capacity stadium of Sevilla F.C. It is situated three kilometers, straight-line distance, north of the stadium of its city rival, Real Betis. Their Estadio Benito Villamarín with a capacity of over 60,000 is the largest stadium in Seville, the capital of Andalusia with 690,000 inhabitants. Touching upon stadiums in Seville, we have to mention an unused Olympic Stadium for 57,600 spectators which has stood in the north-western part of the city since 1999. This athletic stadium was built prior to Spain’s unsuccessful bid for the 2004 Summer Olympics.
Football stadiums usually take their name after the sponsor, the city part in which they stand, or a notable person connected with the club. The stadium of Sevilla is named after the club’s long-time president, who enabled the purchase of the ground and secured financial protection for the investments related to its construction. Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán did not live to see his work completed, he died before the constructions began. The stadium was named in his honor shortly after its opening.
Before the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, Sevilla used to play at the Estadio de Nervión. However, the stadium began to be too small for the growing club and it was decided to move to a new ground. At the time of its opening in 1958, the new stadium was not fully completed and the remaining parts of the second tier were only finished in 1974. This increased the capacity to over 70,000.
The stadium was modernized prior to the 1982 World Cup, several matches of which were played at Sevilla’s home ground as well. The capacity was slightly reduced, but the stadium could still accommodate respectable 66,000 spectators. In 1997, the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán was converted into an all-seater stadium resulting in a capacity reduction to “mere” 45,000 fans. The last modernization so far in 2015 saw an installation of new seats and the capacity stabilized at 42,000. The exterior of the stadium was also renovated; its night lights give the stadium a more modern look.
At the beginning of the third millennium, football stadium architects focus especially on retractable roofs covering the whole stadium and a slide-out pitch. However, the limited resources of this Andalusian club forced its owners to have different plans. After the last reconstruction, the main stand remains to be the only roofed part of the stadium and no amendments in this respect are planned. In southern European countries, a retractable roof is simply not a priority. Therefore, the magical atmosphere typical of Spanish stadiums could be preserved.